Visitors

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Winter, Okinawan Style

by Pa Rock
Cultural Explorer


Okay, fifty degrees isn't cold by real world standards, and I doubt that it was any colder than that here on the island of Okinawa today, but fifty degrees being pushed along by ocean breezes can feel damned cold!  I walked two blocks to the base convenience store this afternoon, hunkered down, hands in pockets, teeth chattering.  When I got there I ran into one of my co-workers who had driven the two blocks.  "I'm not walking in this weather!"  She declared crisply!

The Christmas trees have arrived on island and are being sold on base at the Base Exchange (BX).   (Where they have arrived from, I have no idea!)  Holiday decorations are going up.  It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas - let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Or, more realistically, let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment