Visitors

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

All Sound and Fury, Signifying Nothing

by Pa Rock
Cultural Explorer

Typhoon Kompasu has come and gone, and as typhoons go, it was fairly lame.  The winds roared, I don't know at what speed, but I had occasion to step out onto my back balcony a couple of times and did not blow away.  This morning it was calm, with a light rain, and the birds were chirping.

Typhoons are unpredictable.  There is no way of knowing exactly where they will hit, or even if they will hit, until just before the event happens - and severity or force is also a crap shoot.  This one was a dud, but the next could make international headlines.  The best plan is to have a plan and be prepared.

I benefited from Typhoon Kompasu much as someone benefits from a drill.  I got to see firsthand how the military prepares and reacts, and I took a walk through my community shortly before the weather got dicey and saw the ways the local nationals got their homes and businesses ready to face the typhoon.  It was a good education. - one that could be of great importance sometime in the future.

There was no local damage.  I will try and post a couple of photos of boarded-up businesses tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment