Visitors

Friday, October 1, 2010

Rainbows and Dragon Flies

by Pa Rock 
Cultural Explorer


Rains on Okinawa are usually light and brief, often falling beneath predominantly blue skies, but occasionally we get a real storm with thunder and lightening and wind.  One of those blew through the night before last, waking me with some serious thunder and flashes of lightening.  By the time I finally was ready to leave for work, the worst had passed, and when I arrived at my office, Kadena Air Bare was adorned with a beautiful rainbow.  It was not predictive of how the day at work would be!

The weather was hot by the time I left work, with nary a hint of rain.  The warm and dry brought out dragon flies which were everywhere - big ones.  When I arrived on the island in July, the locusts were so noisy that it was often hard to hear outside.  They are gone now, replaced by the dragon flies, which  are sometimes hard to dodge, but mercifully quiet.

To everything there is a season.

No comments:

Post a Comment